The admission period has started and is underway; Parents and teachers are urged to familiarize themselves with the processes to follow so as to not miss out on the deadlines in order to make the placement process easier and on time.
Admission To Public Schools
In terms of Section 5 of the South African Schools Act (SASA), a public school must admit learners and serve their educational requirements without unfairly discriminating in any way.
Admission of learners
The Head of Department (HOD) is responsible to admit learners to all public schools. The HOD may delegate the responsibility to admit learners to a departmental official.
No learner may be refused admission to a public school on the grounds that his or her parent is unable to pay fees.
Testing Of Learners
Any test relating to the admission of a learner to a public school may not be administered.
Admission Age Of Learners
SASA Section 5(4)(a) determines the admission age of a learner to a public school as
(i) Grade R is age four years turning five years by 30 June in the year of admission,
(ii) Grade 1 is age five years turning six years by 30 June in the year of admission.
Admission Documents Required:
- Application form for admission
- Compulsory documents for admission
- Certified copy of the Identity document or a certified copy of the birth certificate of the prospective learner
- Proof of Immunisation
- School Report
- School transfer letter
A parent must ensure that a child is admitted and attends school from the first school day of the year until the last school day of the academic year.
What to do if you are told a public school is full:
- Ask the principal if the school had been officially declared full by the Education Department.
- Ask to see the letter which says the school is full.
- If there is no letter then the school must accept the child.
- If the school refuses permission then contact the district office.
- If the school does have a letter then the department must find a place for the child in the nearest school to where he or she lives.
Join the Superintendent General on Friday, 26 May 2017 between 14:00 and 15:00 to discuss challenges in admission of children at Public Schools in the Province of the Eastern Cape. He will be available on the following forums:
SG’s Corner Blog: http://blog.ecdoe.co.za
ECDoE Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ecdoe
ECDoE Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/ECDOEZA